Sunday, October 19, 2008

Trip to Portland










I can't seem to get caught up on my blogging! The last weekend in September we decided to take a trip down to Portland to see my Grandma Sundwall. She lives in an assisted living home there. She suffers from Alzheimers and other ailments as well. We picked her up at her little apartment and took her to dinner. I really wanted the kids to be able to see her and have some recollection of her when I talk to them about her. It was bittersweet. Wonderful to see my grandmother and talk with her, but sad to see how much worse her dementia is getting. I know Wyatt couldn't figure out why she was asking the same questions over and over again. Well, at least I have many fond memories with her as a child. I remember her scones, bread and cinnamon rolls the most. That is a staple to my childhood memories. I remember her coming to stay with us while my parents went on vacation and she would load us up with her yummy baked goods, but she would also make us eat ALL of our vegetables, set a timer of when they needed to be eaten and restrict us from a variety of things if we didn't. She ran a tight ship! She also played HOURS of Yahtzee and Cribbage with us. I owe my knowledge of those games to her. Even though she can't remember any of those memories anymore, at least there is one of us who does. I love you Grandma!






After we visited her for the evening, we crashed for the weekend at our friends, Blair and Emily Walker. It is always so fun to hang out with them! Ben can be as crass as he wants to be, and we can all laugh about it. We only get to visit them about once a year but it always is so easy and natural when we reunite. We went to the Portland Zoo on what turned out to be a hot and beautiful fall weekend! Thanks for the fun guys!

1 comment:

shelby said...

That is great you were able to go see grandma! Hope you had a great time! I must say Sommer, you look really pretty in the fourth pic down! Miss you all!